Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Contents research

For my contents page I researched different types of magazines from Kerrang! to Mizz. This was so I would get a wide range of ideas for my own contents page.

I do not like this contents page at all, this is because I find the words hard to read and it is not in an order I can easily understand. I think it is hard to find the persific information needed, such as finding an interview of a band. Also I do not like the fact there is no main picture on the page, this means to me there is no big story line in the magazine. I also think there are too many white gaps on the page which could have been filled up with either more text or bigger pictures.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I prefere this magazine to the one above as it does have a larger picture showing the main part of the magzine. Also it is easy to find the information you are looking for as the headings are easy to understand. However, I feel as though there is more text then needed on the page. When you see this conents page it strikes you as a normal page at first because of all the text. When I think of contents pages I expect them to only have what is on what page in the magazine.

This contents page I feel works well, this is because there is a varied amount of pictures and text, but not too much of each. It is easy to see the main articles of the magazine then all other information is clearly seen on the the right hand side. I still do not like the extra text that is in the top left corner as it is not needed on this page. However I do not think this type of contents page would fit into my magazine as it has lots of things going on in the page, whereas my magazine is more simple.
This is easy to see the the contents page is for younger readers because of the colours that are used. However, I may use some of the things they do on my own contents page. In the bottom right corner it has a picture of their website and the name of it, I like this as it shows the information easily and very clearly. Also I like the way the contents section has been set up, this is because it is very clear to see each section and what/where it is in the magazine. I do not like the overall set up of the contents page though as it does not flow properly. I find that there is too much to look at at once causing me to not understand as easily as I could.
Sugars contents is much like Mizz's one in the sence it is for younger readers. However, I like the style of the page. I think the one picture that takes up most of the page is very effective. It shows that she is the main part of the magazine and which page it is on. Also I like that the front cover is on the contents page, as it shows where each story is. The set up of the page has been thought out well as everything is easy to see and understand and flows well. I think this type of contents page would fit well into my magazine as long as I changed the colour sceem to fit mine. I think it would fit well because unlike the other magaines I have reasearched this is more like a girls contents page rather then a hard music one.



From my research I have decided to use the style from Sugars contents page. Although it is designed for younger readers then what my magazine is for, I think if i change the layout slightly to fit with my magazine it will fit in well.

No comments:

Post a Comment