Friday, 25 February 2011

Front cover progress

gif animatorTo the left I have created a GIF to show my progress from taking my front cover picture to creating my front cover of my magazine. To get my final front cover design I chose, what I thought was the best picture from my photoshoot, and edited it in Photoshop. I removed the gray background and replaced it with a light pink/peach colour (the same as my background to the front cover) and smudged all around the edges so they blended into the background better. I then placed the picture into the programme Indesign. After I placed my magazine name 'Anthem' and started to add text. I added a brown box at the bottom with text on as I wanted something different on the magazine and not for everything to be one colour. The brown was an extract colour from the girl on the lefts hair so it was related and not a random colour added to it. After that I had to make up a name for my band and add a quote that would make it people want to read inside. Then I added the date, issue number and bar code all together in the right hand corner as it will be easy to see there but also away from the main part of the magazine. I then researched the artists that were in the charts and Bruno Mars and Pink seemed to be the most popular and talked about at the time. So from that I decided to have their name and a quote (which I made up) that was small but interesting which would draw the reader in. After placing the text I played around with the structure of my front cover and the size of the photo and text. From doing this I realised I needed to reduce the size of my photo slightly and make the text bigger, this made it seem more realistic like a proper magazine. I then had a small space in the top right which I had yet to fill. I looked at my research and found many magazines have more then one picture on the front cover, mostly of other bands. So from that I looked through some pictures I had taken when I went to a concert a few weeks back and chose 3 which had the brightest colours in them and also ones with different people from the band (You Me At Six) in them. I cut them into circles so they fitted easier onto the magazine and looked the best. This made the magazine brighter and more interesting as it had more colours and real life action shots in it.


However I still think there are some things which I could edit if I have time at the end to do so. I would have perhaps re-shot the picture so they are closer together and not a small space between two of them. I could have also looked at background colours more as I only tried a few different colours before picking the final one. However I do think it all works out well and I am proud of what I have produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment